BLOG HAS MOVED

This blog has moved to thealteredscale.blogspot.com. Please make a note, and I look forward to seeing you there.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Meditating Cougar

The meditating cougar didn't bother
with the elk when it shuffled by
so close and easy, so available;
it did simply nothing, seeing and hearing
nothing, eyes unfocused and ears
not discerning, a world gone soft,
soft. The meditating cougar may turn
its head to look not here, to hear not
there, with no wondering available,
a full stomach and a mind hidden
and supple, muscles thick and relaxed.
An old beaver died for this meditation.
Perhaps it is worth it. The day's were
numbered. And now the cougar becomes
so much more than its pettiness,
sitting quietly beyond simple earthly
wishes, doing its thing, after satiation.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff @ Experimental Fiction / Poetry

    I was unable to send to you an email (it failed to send for some reason), so I thought to post my message for you here...

    By the way, this piece is most enjoyable, I live next to the Canadian Rockies, so this really clears the fog of my fearful imagination with some cutting imagery, I love the idea of a predator experiencing the ease of relaxed contemplation...it gives a sense of the intense potency of nature.

    What are your submission guidelines? I would like to submit to you some
    work of mine. If you like you can take a look at my blog (link below) where
    under the heading, "Experimental Writing Gallery" I have copious amounts of
    experimental poetry and select artworks to accompany each collection. The
    artworks are currently due for an upcoming exhibition on The New Post
    Literate: A Gallery of Asemic Writing. I also write experimental short
    fiction works based on edited and embellished blog posts (dreamscapes) on
    my main site.

    I enjoy your work. It is awesome to see such a quality weblog completely
    devoted to experimental writing with undertones of jazz!

    Have you heard of the book, "Half-Blood Blues" by Esi Edugyan? I just finished it the
    other day, it is a brilliant depiction of the European Jazz scene on the
    brink of WWII, a must-read for jazz aficionados in my opinion (If you're on
    the track of "Explorative Music" check out www.youtube.com/nivsha - this is
    my wife, she is a master improviser with strong influences from free jazz,
    who I sometimes accompany on doumbek).

    Rusty

    --
    www.rkjarvik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so interesting. I will definitely check out the book, and the youtube. Please stay tuned at TheAlteredScale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete